Why Community-Based & Independent Media Matters
Just as Chicago thrives when its diverse people, neighborhoods, and communities come together, Chicago media outlets thrive when they join together to find new ways to support their passion for journalism and storytelling.
• Reach, reflect and amplify communities often overlooked by mainstream and national media, delivering journalism to communities centered in “news deserts.”
• Serve as watchdogs, holding institutional powers accountable.
• Produce and translate vital information in languages spoken by community members.
• Share authentic and original storytelling accurately representing Chicago’s diverse community.
• Expand the definition of what media can be. This directory includes traditional print newspapers, independently produced podcasts, video production studios and nonprofit newsrooms focusing on issues that affect the fabric of the city.
Search the media directory for outlets reaching communities throughout the Chicago region.
Photo credit: Ariel Parrella-Aureli: Colin Boyle/Block Club Chicago
Donating to local media = Funding your community
Join the more than 2,000 supporters and foundations who donated to our annual fundraisers in 2020 and 2021, raising more than $332,500 for independent media. Help us reach $500,000 in 2022.
Get updates on our annual fundraisers and more.
CIMA holds annual fundraisers for our members. In 2021, we raised $172,500 for 43 of Chicago’s independent and local media outlets. Want to be notified when we launch 2022’s fundraiser?